Friday, September 23, 2011

Weird and weirder - Edward Harold Bell

A 72-year-old prisoner named Edward Harold Bell is the subject of my upcoming story on Sunday in the Houston Chronicle.

I got interested in a string of unsolved teen girl murders in the 1970s as the result of stories I did in May and June on forensic anthropologists' efforts to help identify approximately 400 unknown Jane and John Does in the Harris County public cemetery. Among other things, I learned that one unknown teenaged "boy's" body might really have belonged to a murdered girl named Rhonda Renee Johnson.  I spent weeks trying to find her family to see if that mystery could be solved through DNA.... her brother is trying to help.

That story led me to a Galveston Police Officer's theory that a man named Bell might have killed Johnson and  others... More will be coming out soon about Bell and I'll post information here.

Americans murdered in Mexico

Americans murdered in Mexico
US citizens continue to be killed in ongoing border violence. I've been covering this since 2009.

Was this teen offender wrongfully executed?

Was this teen offender wrongfully executed?
Debate over this 2005 Chron investigation - and other cases continues in Texas

Who killed Baby Jane Doe?

Who killed Baby Jane Doe?
A 2003 investigation from the now online-only newspaper gave this baby back her name. But her murder remains unsolved...